Senator Fidelma Healy Eames
Your INDEPENDENT General Election candidate in Galway West/South Mayo
ABOUTFidelma lives in Maree, Oranmore with her husband Michael, a farmer, and their two teenage children. She grew up on a dairy farm in Moylough, Co. Galway.
INDEPENDENTFidelma is an INDEPENDENT candidate and serves the Galway West and South Mayo regions.
CONTACTIf you would like to contact Fidelma, you can do so by calling her office on +35391792017 or you can email her on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tá mé ag iarraidh tuile tacaíocht don teanga Gaelige a fheiceáil, mar theanga beo i saol na ndaoine. Tír gan teanga, Tír gan anam.
I will play my part in ensuring we have a political system that can enable this vision to become reality. I will stand up for open and accountable government that treats people fairly, that is not a slave to elites, vested interests, cronyism or political correctness, and that respects freedom of conscience.
- Ar son na fiontraíochta le éiteas láidir ceartas sóisialta
- Ar son na beatha, na clainne agus an phobail.
- Eitic sa pholataíocht.
- Cumhachtú an aosa óig agus meas ar ionchur seanóirí.
- Cruthaitheacht, Teanga, Cultúr agus Féiniúlacht.
- Ag nascadh daoine agus áiteacha le córas iompair phoibli do chathair agus contae na Gaillimhe.
- Sochaí um chomhdheiseanna do chách.
Pro Enterprise with a strong social Justice ethos
Pro Life, Family and Community
I am a strong advocate of life, family and community. Pro Life: We should always give life a chance. We were given the chance of life, why should we think that we are so superior that we can decide when to take life? On the controversial subject of abortion, because there are always two lives involved we need a two patient approach. The woman or young girl, who may be in a crisis pregnancy, needs the maximum support (incl., eg., counselling and financial assistance) to help her give birth to her baby. This, I know, is not always easy and there are extremely difficult cases. Should the mother decide not to be able to keep her baby she should be given options, including adoption. The unborn is completely at the mercy of our decisions, the mother’s, the legislator’s, the doctor’s, our culture as informed by our citizens. Pro Family: The family is the nucleus and core building block of society. Good Government should invest in and support families from the start. Early intervention is critical for families in difficulty. These can be spotted early through the education system, A&E admissions, Family Resource Centres where they exist and the social services. Similarly, we must empower families to help themselves. Pro Community: Every community should have a minimum set of public services and amenities according to size. I meet with communities throughout my constituency who lack basic amenities like a playground, a community hall/ centre, playing pitches, public toilets beside a popular public amenity, access to a library. Every community should be audited for their public amenities and it’s a Government’s responsibility to be fair in the distribution of funding across all communities. Some communities do better just because they have a TD locally. This is inherently inequitable and unfair. Government policy must change in this regard.
Ethics in Politics
Honesty, Transparency and accountability are vital in politics. We too frequently see that this is Not the case. For example, appointments made as a result of cronyism really disillusion the public and me too! I have published a Budget Reform Bill – the Ministers and Secretaries Amendment Bill (2014)(see link below) which, if implemented, will greatly increase transparency and accountability in government department budgets and match budgets to best outcomes. Unfortunately, this Government would not give me time to debate this Bill in the Seanad. A Bill like this would ensure that taxpayers money is spent in a targeted way where the best outcomes are achieved for the citizen. Ministers and Secretaries Explanatory Memo and Bill
Empowering Young People & Respecting Older People's Contributions
Creativity, Language, Culture & Identity
Connecting People & Places With Public Transport in Galway City and County
Connectivity matters in our daily lives. People and places need to be more easily and directly connected across Galway city and county. This is an area that we have completely failed our people in, outside of the Dublin region. Reliable and regular Transport links matter for opportunities and work, for leisure, for social inclusion. For example, I was delighted to be able to have the local rural Bus Éireann service reinstated in Maree. There are many other areas that need a service. We have a chronic traffic problem in our city. I am actively investigating and advocating for immediate measures to our gridlock in Galway city – If you agree, please support me at Www.Galwaytraffic.ie
An Equal Opportunity Society
- Maximise our uniqueness to secure Galway as Capital of Culture 2020.
- Build a sustainable, integrated transport system for Galway City.
- Expand the Greenway in agreement with local farmers.
- Develop the oyster industry in conjunction with local fishermen.
- Insist on a safe and affordable water system.
- Support commercial rates for business that are fair and equitable.
- Leverage the region as a centre of excellence for education, health and the marine.
- Help families in debt to remain in their homes.
- Ensure that the right to child maintenance is enforced, if necessary by direct payments.
- Remedy the adverse effect of tax individualisation on single-earner families.
- Negotiate parental leave terms in consultation with employers.
- Invest in and incentivise primary health care centres in the community.
- Promote the rights of people and families with disabilities.
- Publish a ‘Social Value’ bill to enable local groups/communities to win national tenders based on demonstrated local value.
- Support a dedicated 5-year plan to reduce taxes incl. USC. and the pension levy.
- Address the regional imbalance in CAP against farmers in the West.
- Achieve a lower VAT rate for existing small independent Irish retailers in rural towns and villages.
- Secure a new reduced rate of capital gains tax for SMEs.
- Support a credit system for rate-payers who also pay management fees.
- Negotiate a greater proportion of the broadcasting licence fee for regional radio stations.
- Provide Speech Therapy at school.
- Ensure early intervention for children with special needs and learning difficulties.
- Introduce incremental Career guidance from 6th Class onwards.
- Pilot the Gaeltacht for Irish language immersion courses for pupils throughout the school year.
- Develop effective approaches for teaching foreign languages including student exchange programmes.
- Create a student-friendly Leaving Certificate Exam system.
- Provide wider access to adult lifelong learning opportunities.
- Invest in Apprenticeships, the ‘learning in the workplace’ model.
- Pursue quality outcomes from Higher Education & Research.
- Provide education and services concerning drug and alcohol abuse, cyber bullying, and mental health
Community & National Initiatives
Chair, Yeats Thoor Ballylee Society
Co-Founder, Job Creation Initiative Oranmore
Chair & Co-ordinator, China Ireland Relations & Schools initiative
Chair & Co-ordinator, China Ireland Relations & Schools initiative
Co-Founder, Spanish Student Exchange
Chair, Reforming Learning: Driving Success Education Conference (NUIG)
Appointed Education Champion (Ireland) by Women in Parliament
National Lead for #UpforSchool campaign
Legislative and Parliamentary Work
Education for Early School Leavers
Mortgage Debt Solutions
Fair Beef Prices for Farmers
Traffic Solutions for Oranmore & Galway City
Health: Investment in Mental Health, Primary Care & Galway University Hospital’s A&E
Published New Bill on Budget Reform
Young Tomás McLoughlin opens Fidelma Healy Eames’ new Office in Oranmore and launches her Independent Election CampaignFeb 2nd 2016 Last night Senator Fidelma Healy Eames launched her General election campaign as an Independent candidate. 'I was honoured to have young Tomás McLoughlin of 'Tomorrow for Tomás' charity open my new Campaign office in Oranmore. This office is a service to... read more
Fidelma’s Galway Traffic Campaign
“There’s a lot of pretender’s out there that talk a good game but the reality is that there out for themselves. Fidelma, is not one of those people. Her motives are clear. She’s working for you and on your behalf. Look at the massive amount she’s already done for us locally and nationally in the face of undue adversity. Unlike most of those ‘pretend’ politicians, she is a bonafide, beacon of light for you, your family, your education, your future and for your community. And in my opinion, you’re a fool to ignore her.”John Mulry
“‘Be alert , stand firm in the faith, be brave and strong. Let all that you do be done in love’ ( Paul’s 1st letter to Corinthians Ch16). Fidelma Healy Eames is Galway West’s only candidate who stood on these principles in relation to the last two referenda and she paid a heavy price. Alone she stands.”Anthony Brennan
Map of Galway West/ South Mayo Constituency
Say Hello, Get in touch or Get Involved